After researching yurts and perusing our options for buying/constructing one we decided to do everything ourselves. Although we could have bought a kit and popped up the yurt in a couple of hours (very tempting) we went the slower route and spent a few months getting it all ready.
Our original to do list:
- chop down saplings to be used as poles (strip the bark, oil the poles so they will last)
- find and order canvas (figure out how to sew it)
- find and order wool felt to be used as insulation (sew it)
- order a skylight and build a tono (centre ring) to hold it
- build a platform
- put it all together and deal with the inside
Mike and I worked on the yurt throughout the spring, summer, and fall. We are now living in it and working out the kinks. I tried to document everything while we were working on it so I’ll be blogging about it over the next few months.